Wednesday 27 July 2011

Medical

I did the last piece of hoop jumping (bureaucracy) yesterday - I took my medical to find out if I am fit enough to be able to do my job and well enough to stay in the country. Foreigners with AIDS are not allowed to stay in the country. I didn't have AIDS last time it was checked so I think I'll be alright.
I discovered I am 1.81m tall and weigh 93kg. The doctor told me to lose 5-6 kg as I am overweight and to get some exercise. I am going to buy a push bike to cycle to work every day. A bog standard bike costs 35 Rials (£50).

My blood pressure was high (a family trait) 160/100 the first time it was taken and 150/70 the second, so I have to go back on Monday. I am pleased to say that my heart-rate was 48, not as good as it used to be, but still very low.

The process was another demonstration of the lack of urgency in Oman. We were asked to get to the office at 7.30, we had 50 minutes of sitting around before we set off. Once we got to the medical centre we had 3 different lots of waiting around - once to see the doctor, once for the x-ray and once for the urine & blood sample. But - as I said when I worked for the civil service - I wouldn't like to organise an alternative system country wide.

The lack of urgency just has to be accepted as the way things are done here. It is frustrating at times, especially when it is your wages that aren't being paid on time. When I was at Sunderland I always maintained that the first rule of management is that "the workers get paid what they are owed when they are owed it". It is now 4 weeks since I left Blighty and I still haven't been paid yet. Though I have to say I am fortunate to be in a better financial position than a few of the other lads here.

No comments:

Post a Comment